I’m not gonna lie Mexico was always going to be a highlight for me! I have taken reggaeton dance classes for years and have become known amongst friends as an avid Tequila drinker. Needless to say I had one hell of a time. Find out below my top 10 favourite things about Mexico city:
- Starting big and bold, the Ancient Mayan religious complex of Teotihuacán. Nothing like the Egyptian Pyramids that I had since a couple of weeks before, these Pyramids you can climb on. As your climbing you hear weird Jaguar noises from street gawkers mixed in with the American accent that dominates most of the tourists here. As you keep going up you can see the area in which they played an ancient basketball game where the winner gets *drum roll please DECAPITATION YAYYY! 😳😳😳
- Next you have to catch a Mexican Wrestling show. It’s fucking hilarious!!! Make sure you buy tickets from the official windows and the parking officers will even Tetris-style you car into a space for you! During the show you can get anything form Beers, Tacos, Wrestling Masks or a Lap Dance delivered right to your seat. Easily one of my favourite things to do in Mexico! 😘😘😂😂
- The Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe is actually amazing! You walk in right and marvel at a mural while on a travelator like at the airports so as to ensure that traffic keeps moving! This joint gets busy and has mass going all day long! People from all corners of Mexico make almost daily pilgrimage walks there and I saw four arrive while taking pictures outside. Thats a show in itself as they all come in with music, food, colours like a religious Mardi Gras Parade! Oh and next to it is the old church which has kind of sunk in the ground so when you walk inside your standing at a 45degree angle and feel drunk! 😳😱😂
- Next go spotting for some artworks throughout the city. Diego Rivera‘s murals are EVERYWHERE and it won’t be long till you come across a few (the one below is out front a local movie’s). They are intricate, full of colour and breathtaking! And if you’re feeling extra bold, check the one out in Centro Historica where all the prostitutes hang out, maybe you can score a free lunch…I heard LOL jks ew 😍😍😏😂
- The Grande Dame is of course: Casa Azul a.k.a the Firda Kahlo Museum! Y’all KNOW how obsessed I am with this legendary artist and all around badass, so going there was a dream come true for me. To walk the streets she walked, sit in the room she was in for so long after her accident, soak up the some in her marvellous garden! You can’t help but be inspired. The neighbourhood is also really cute and nice to walk around in and feels like a cross between an Eastern-Suburbsesque and Newtown vibe (Sydney Ref.) Simply indescribable and one of the must do’s before you die trust me! HOT TIP! Book your ticket outside for first thing around 10am – I only waited 10mins while most wait 2-3 Hours 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
- The National Museum of Anthropology is actually kind of amazing! Not only can you see, touch and experience Mexican and Indigenous cultures over the centuries, but there is a giant fuck-off waterfall in the middle of the museum just because!
- The Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Ciudad Universitaria is really rad to walk around in. They have a sculpture walk which is really cool, nice street tacos, Contemporary and Modern Museums and more Diego Rivera murals!
- I have to dedicate one whole post to the all the foods in Mexico! HOT DAMN Mexicans know who to eat! Go to any place called Taqueria and try El Pastor tacos! Fish Tacos, Chilaquiles, Fajitas, Enchiladas, Mole, Quesadillas, Tequila, Margaritas etc. I can go on forever! My little tummy grew and I gained weight and didn’t even care! I want to become Mexican just so that I can eat Mexican food everyday! 😱😱🤤🤤🤤
- Go out dancing! There ain’t no shortage of places to go and some bars are more better than others, like any other city. But not like any other city is that any bar you go to is super fun! The service is quick and amazing, tacos are forever on hand and the music just makes you wanna move…until you want to sit down again because EVERYONE can dance amazingly! 💃🕺👯
- Last but not least, talk to the locals! Mexicanos are super friendly and nice! Many a times someone would help me cross the street because of the insane traffic, help navigating the metro bus and metro subway, help with food and drink just always helping! This is my absolute favourite thing about Mexicans! SHOUTOUT to my fav Mexican Marina who showed me around! ❤️❤️❤️
Mexico! Mi Gente! I love you so much and despite my atrocious spanish and lack of common sense you welcomed me with open around and a plate full of food. I will forever be grateful and am already planning my return VIVA LA MEXICO! 🇲🇽❤️🇲🇽